Every day I receive requests on how to becoming a model. Things like how to get started, finding and contacting a modeling agency, and getting a first photo shoot.
How to get started:
Before you get started doing anything, you should ask yourself these questions as they will help guide you for the rest of the process.
- What do I want to get out of modeling?
- What am I willing to put into becoming a model
- What kind of model do I want to be? Fashion, Runway, swimsuit, sport,etc.
- How flexible am I for traveling and for timeOnce you evaluate these questions, There is two ways you can go. One is to contact a modeling agency which I will explain below. The other method is to act like your own agency and create your own portfolio. This is easily done over the internet, now with several places in which you can post pictures, and information on yourself to attract talent scouts.
If you choose to go the traditional route and to work with a modeling agency, It can be hard at times to know first of all how to find a good one, and what to look for in a modeling agency. You can easily look up and find agencies in phone books or online,etc. Before you do any of that, I would recommend contacting anyone you know, that is a model, and finding out about some of the experiences that they have had with modeling and general, and also specifically with different agencies in your area. Once you have a general idea of what the scene looks like, contact some of the agencies and set up an appointment to meet with them. Meeting with the agency can be the hardest and most nerve wrecking part of the whole experience. Be firm, and don’t allow the agency to take advantage of you!
Things to ask and look for are:
- What have they done for other models?
- What can they do for you?
- Can they meet your needs as an invividual and as a model?
- Does the agency have similar goals for you as the ones you have for yourself? The final question “How to get a first photo shoot” depends on which route you take. If you go with an agency you will have to arrange with them, to have a photo shoot taken, and to start building your portfolio. If you decide to go on your own, you will have to build your own portfolio. Either by using photos that you already have, or by contacting a photographer to have a photo shoot done. I would recommend that hiring a photographer is the route to go, as it looks more professional, and the quality is much greater than simple family and friends photo’s,etc.